Friday, March 12, 2010

What knowledge have you connected with past knowledge?

I graduated last year from Plymouth State University with a Bachelors of Science in Business Management. Then I realized that I wanted to become a Physician Assistant. So here I am now at UNH Manchester, trying to fulfill my science prerequisites for the PA program. People said I was crazy being a full time student and taking only science classes, as did I at first. But over the fall semester I realized that this was a great way to take in the plethora of information within these courses because they all coincide with one another.

Last semester I took Biology, Chemistry, and Anatomy and the concepts I learned from each class seem to build on top of each other. Now I am taking Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Anatomy. The concepts we have learned in Biochemistry have touched base with all material I have learned in other science courses.

In biology we learned about structure of organic molecules like proteins. I got to understand the basis behind a protein and how they are made. I knew only the basics behind a protein and now biochemistry has really helped me understand the process behind primary, secondary, tertiary, quaternary structures of a protein and its subunits. Biochemistry has also been a big help in Anatomy. My last test in Anatomy was on the endocrine system. It was discussing the physiological aspects of steroids in my anatomy and then I would go more in depth into the structure and function of steroids in biochemistry. Biochemistry has also allowed me to use formulas and laws that I have learned in chemistry.

That is what I like about science; all fields are connected in some way. I get to take concepts from one course and then apply them to other fields in science. Biochemistry has touched base on everything I have learned in the past year, but took it one step further.

2 comments:

  1. I think you hit the nail on the head with the line "all fields are connected in some way." It's a rather elegant and neat thing to realize that the basic things we learned about in biology in 9th grade keep coming back up even at these advanced levels.

    I agree completely about how taking anatomy and physiology 2 at the same time as biochemistry being helpful too. The endocrine system is a complex mess of hormones and pro-hormones; but, examining them from the anatomy side and then how they make the biochemical process occur has been very beneficial to my understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This class has been so beneficial for me while taking Anatomy. I have been learning the functions of different bio-molecules in Anatomy while learning there structure and how they are formed in biochemistry. It's made it a lot easier.
    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete