Friday, March 12, 2010

Find an interesting biochemistry website and put its link in the entry, and describe briefly what is found here.

http://www.wiley.com/legacy/college/boyer/0470003790/animations/animations.htm

I am a visual learner and by combining the complex processes that I learn in lecture and from my text with animations really helps me grasp the whole picture. Wiley.com has been a fun way for me to understand complex biochemical concepts.

When we started learning about amino acids I had problems remembering the structure of the 20 different amino acids. http://www.wiley.com/legacy/college/boyer/0470003790/animations/acideroids/acideroids.htm This game is called, “Acideroids”. It is kind of like the old Nintendo game “Asteroids”, except now the asteroids are different amino acids. You are in control of a ship that must pass through a field of acideroids and the only way to get through is to shoot and destroy the correct amino acid. I played for about an hour one day and by the end of my mission I knew structure of all 20 amino acids.

The "Cutting Edge", window within this website I found really interesting. It features articles on exciting developments within the field of biochemistry. I read an interesting article on Telomeres and how it could be the Holy Grail for eternal life and possible treatment for cancer patients.

This site has animations and tutorials that take you through critical structural and functional features of biomolecules. Every concept we have talked about in class you will find something about it here. Tests are also available take after each tutorial. It is a hands on way to grasp the big picture behind all concepts in Biochemistry. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment